This macaroni and cheese casserole is packed with lean sirloin, shredded veggies, and lots of calcium–each serving has 200 milligrams. Serve with a green veggie or side salad. Recipe serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 1 (8-ounce) package small elbow macaroni (or other small noodle)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose four
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting the fat and salt.
- Drain and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a Dutch oven (or large pot) over medium-high heat.
- Coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the onion and carrot and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the beef mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spoon the pasta and beef into an 11 x 7 – inch baking dish coated with nonstick spray.
- Place the milk, flour, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan.
- Stir with a whisk until well blended.
- Cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with the whisk.
- Add 1 cup cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta; stir.
- Top evenly 1/2 cup shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for...Get dinner on the table!