Using a combination of convenience products, like frozen hash brown potatoes, frozen chopped spinach, and refrigerated breadstick dough, to cut down on prep time never hurts. This dish is great for breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner. Serve with a fruit salad. Recipe serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated breadstick dough
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (5 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, sugar and salt; cook for 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Unroll the dough, separating in strips.
- Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern.
- Add a second strip of dough to the first strip by pinching together at the ends to seal.
- Continue coiling the dough and repeat with all strips.
- Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle and place in a deep-dish pie plate that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Spread the potato and onion mixture onto the bottom of the prepared crust and top with spinach.
- Combine the milk, egg whites, eggs and cheese.
- Pour over the spinach.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!