It doesn’t get much more comforting than this. Recipe serves 6.
What you’ll need:
- 6 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven broiler to high.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt.
- Add the broccoli to the pasta in the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- While the pasta cooks, place the bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons of drippings in the pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Add the chicken to the pan with the drippings; cook 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with turmeric; cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- In a bowl, combine 3/4 teaspoon salt, milk, broth and flour.
- Add the mixture to the pan, bring to a boil and stir frequently.
- Cook 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the pasta and broccoli mixture and 1/2 cup of cheese. Toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Broil for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to brown.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!