Add Mexican-inspired spice to this traditional family favorite. Serve with your favorite coleslaw for an easy side. Recipes makes 5 servings.
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1 can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 hamburger buns
What you’ll do:
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the onions; cover and cook for 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from the can; set aside.
- Remove from chipotle chile from the can; chop and set aside.**
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat the pan with cooking spray.
- Add the beef to the pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add the bell pepper to the pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped chipotle chile and the sauce plus the tomato paste, salt, cumin and tomato sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon 1/2 cup beef mixture over the bottom half of each bun and top with onions and the top half of the bun.
**You can freeze the remaining chiles and sauce in plastic bags. Simply thaw the next time you need only one chile.**
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!