You don’t have to break the bank to eat delicious and healthy food. Turkey Italian sausage and bottled marinara sauce come to the rescue in this recipe. Serve with a quick tossed salad or your favorite green vegetable. Recipe serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 3 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (look for low-sodium)
- 2 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 instant polenta
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
What you’ll do:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and saute for 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and drain.
- Wipe the pan clean and return to medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and swirl.
- Add the onion and saute for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sausage, marinara sauce and 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Gradually add the polenta and cook for 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and pepper.
- Serve the sausage mixture over the polenta and top with parsley.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!