Roast chicken is made even more delicious and nutritious with the addition of bell peppers and rosemary. Recipe serves 4 and would be perfect served over mashed potatoes.
What you’ll need:
- 5/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow or orange bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, the fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Brush chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and sprinkle with the spice rub.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil to the hot skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until browned (about 3 minutes).
- Turn the chicken over and cook 1 additional minute.
- Spray an 11 x 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Transfer the chicken to the baking dish and bake for 10 minutes or until done.
- Heat the remaining olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the bell peppers, shallots and rosemary. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high heat.
- Stir in the vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve the bell pepper mixture over the chicken.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!