Here’s a quick and easy swap from traditional tamales that take some time to prepare. A few canned goods from the grocery store help get this dinner ready in a lot less time than the original. Recipe serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup pre-shredded 4-cheese Mexican cheese blend
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine 1/4 cup cheese, skim milk, egg substitute, cumin, ground red pepper, corn, muffin mix and green chiles in a large bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into a 13 x 9 baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pierce the entire top of the casserole with a fork.
- Pour the enchilada sauce on top.
- Top with the shredded chicken and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving with the sour cream.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for...Get dinner on the table!