Breakfast for dinner! Eggs are a great source of protein if you’re eating a meat-free meal. Serve this sandwich with a side of fresh fruit. Recipe serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 large eggs
- dash of hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (yellow or orange would work, too)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 English Muffins, split in half
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
What you’ll do:
- Preheat your ovens broiler.
- Combine the milk, salt, pepper, eggs whites and whole eggs and hot sauce in a large bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat the skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and saute for 4 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and let set slightly.
- Tilt the pan and carefully lift the edges of the omelet with a spatula to let the uncooked egg mixture flow underneath.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Wrap the handle is aluminum foil and place under the broiler.
- Broil for 1 minute or until set and slightly browned.
- Arrange the English muffins halves in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese and broil for 1 minute.
- Divide the omelet into 4 portions; place 1 portion on the bottom half of each muffin.
- Top evenly with spinach and top with the other muffin half.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!