Fancy comfort food is on the menu tonight! Bacon and ranch dressing-inspired seasonings are added to this classic family favorite for a twist your children will love. Recipe serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 slice applewood-smoked bacon
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup shredded six-cheese Italian blend (such as Sargento)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Jack cheese
What you’ll do:
- Cook pasta according to package direction (omitting added salt and fat); drain.
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
- Remove bacon and reserve the drippings.
- Finely chop the bacon and set aside.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the chicken to the pan with bacon drippings; saute 6 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly into the pan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Combine the milk and condensed soup, stirring with a whisk and gradually add to the saucepan, continuing to stir with a whisk.
- Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes or until thick.
- Remove from heat and let stand 4 minutes.
- Add the Italian cheese blend, onion powder, garlic powder, dill and salt and stir until cheese melts.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and chicken.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spoon the mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with bacon and colby-jack cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!