This rich-and-creamy casserole will warm you up at the end of the day. Serve this Southern dish with lima beans.
What you’ll need:
- 2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3-ounce) package of reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp, coarsely chopped (frozen shrimp can be used to save a few dollars – simply thaw in the fridge)
- cooking spray
- hot sauce
What you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine milk and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Gradually add grits and salt to the pan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the butter, Parmesan and cream cheese.
- Stir in the parsley, chives, lemon juice, egg whites and shrimp.
- Spoon mixture into an 11 X 7 – inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until set.
- Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!