Serve this fiber-rich vegetarian dinner with warm whole-wheat pita bread. Recipe serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 cans (15-ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- cilantro and lemon slices, for serving (optional)
What you’ll do:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, curry, cinnamon and cloves. Cook while stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the chickpeas, ketchup, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to medium-high heat; cook sauce until slightly reduced, 5 minutes.
- Serve with warm pita bread, cilantro and lemon slices, optional.
Recipe and image from Martha Stewart.