Though it takes some time to bake, it only takes 20 minutes to prep. And don’t let the ingredient list scare you – nothing else is needed on the side with this dinner! Recipe serves 6.
What you’ll need:
- 1 3/4 pounds beef round, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15-ounce) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 cups cooked rice or couscous
What you’ll do:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season beef with 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a heat-proof/oven-proof casserole dish over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef for 3 minutes, turn and brown for 3 more minutes. Remove and reserve on a plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin, ginger, cinnamon, tomatoes, broth and 1/8 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over high heat and stir in the beef and any juices from the beef.
- With a wooden spoon, scrape the bottom of the casserole dish to remove any browned bits (full of flavor!).
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- After 1 1/2 hours, stir in the green beans and shredded carrots. Cover and bake 30 more minutes.
- Serve with rice or couscous.
Recipe and image from Family Circle.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!