This soup is not only creamy but low in fat. Make a big batch so that you have leftovers throughout the week. Recipe serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 3 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta)
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
What you’ll do:
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large Dutch-oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine milk and flour, stir well with a whisk.
- Add the milk mixture to the potato mixture, cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Stir in cooked rice, chicken, pepper and salt.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!