A “southern” twist on pizza! Serve this dinner with a small side salad. Recipe feeds 4-6.
What you’ll need:
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound mild Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) package of pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 (26-ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 package refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook the beef and chicken sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8-10 minutes or until the meat crumbles and is no longer pink.
- Drain the meat of excess fat and reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute for 8 minutes.
- Add the pasta sauce and bring to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Roll the pizza dough out and cut into the size of a baking dish (9-inch round or square).
- Add the meat mixture into the baking dish then top with the cut out dough.
- Cut an “X” on top of the dough and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from Southern Living magazine.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!