Simple and satisfying, this hearty casserole is easy enough to prepare even on a busy week night. Makes 8 servings.
What you’ll need:
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4th-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 (16-ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a deep skillet (Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Add the onion and the turkey sausage to the pan and saute 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken broth, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the brown sugar, tomato paste, dried thyme, pepper, beans and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bean mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!