Corn dogs are always a favorite of children! These little bites are made a wee-bit healthier and they’re portion controlled. This recipe makes 48 mini-muffins. Serve with a side of ketchup for dipping. These are perfect for a light dinner, lunch or even as an appetizer for kids. Remember – hot dogs are a choking hazard.
What you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-10 natural turkey hot dogs (or all-beef), cut into 1-inch bite-size pieces
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the butter, applesauce, and sugar in a bowl; whisk to combine. Add the eggs and whisk together. Add the buttermilk and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients – stir to combine completely.
- Spray a mini-muffin tip with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.
- Place one hot dog bite into the middle of each cup.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Cook for about 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from Iowa Girl Eats.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!