Did you know that this dish contains more calcium than a glass of milk?!? Serve with a simple side of fruit.
What you’ll need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 (6-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
- 5 cups baby spinach (about 4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
What you’ll do:
- Microwave potatoes on high (stab with a fork a few times) for 15 minutes (or until tender).
- In a medium saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar; bring to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the onions, remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain onions and transfer to a plate to allow them to cool.
- Split the cooked potatoes open with a knife (careful! they’re hot) and remove the flesh. Transfer to a bowl (you should have about 1 cup), season with salt and pepper and mash with a fork.
- Divide the potato filling among 4 tortillas. Top each with a cup of spinach, 1/4 cup cheese and another tortilla.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in the skillet and cook a quesadilla until crisp and the cheese is melted (about 2-3 minutes each side). Repeat with all quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into quarters and serve with onions.
Recipe and image from Health.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!