A vegetarian meal with Mediterranean flair. If you’re not a fan of olives, substitute in chopped artichokes and/or a sprinkle of feta cheese. This recipe serves 4 and is ready in 20 minutes. A quick side salad will make your Meatless Monday meal a cinch to get on the table.
What you’ll need:
- 12 ounces penne pasta (or other short pasta)
- 4 red or orange bell peppers, cut into quarters, seeds removed
- 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thyme (fresh, if available)
- salt and pepper
What you’ll do:
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Once pasta is cooked, reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta.
- Return the pasta to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the broiler and place the peppers on a baking sheet, skin side up.
- Broil the peppers until blacked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, scrap off the charred skin and cut into 1-inch strips.
- To the pasta, add the peppers, olives, almonds, olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the reserved cooking water. Season with thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- If the pasta seems dry, add a little more cooking water.
Recipe and image from Real Simple.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!