Celebrate Mardi Gras with this southern-style, Louisiana dish. Not only is this dinner delicious, but it’s healthy and easy to put together. Serve over a bed of white rice for a dinner fit for Fat Tuesday. Recipe serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (or 1 teaspoon cornstarch for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced
What you’ll do:
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Saute until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and the tomato sauce, cayenne pepper, Cajun seasoning and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mix together the flour and the water in a small bowl. Stir into the tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss the shrimp with a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning and add to the tomato mixture.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and the hot sauce; stir to combine.
- Cook for another 5 or 6 minutes, or until the shrimp opaque and cooked through.
- Serve over rice with the green onion slices.
Recipe and image from SkinnyTaste.com
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table.