This casserole combines the classic flavors of buffalo wings – hot sauce, blue cheese, carrots and celery – the perfect Superbowl Sunday dinner. If you can’t find Franks’ RedHot Sauce, substitute in Texas Pete or your family’s favorite. If blue cheese is too strong, substitute in cheddar or mozzarella for a milder flavor. Serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 12 ounces whole-wheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium celery stalks, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons hot sauce (Frank’s RedHot)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
What you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2 minutes less than package cooking directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink on the outside, about 5-7 minutes.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and the milk in a medium bowl.
- Add to the saucepan along with salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the hot sauce.
- Spread the noodles in a 9×13 baking dish.
- Top with the chicken mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and image from EatingWell.com
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!