Nothing could be more comforting than baked apples and chicken. This recipe is great since apples are at peak. Pick firm apples, such as Braeburns for the best results. Serves 4.
What you’ll need:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 firm apple, cored, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard.
What you’ll do:
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of wax paper.
- Pound with a meat mallet (or rolling pin) until about 3/4 inch thick.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute the chicken until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the apple slices, juice, onion, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Simmer, covered, 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is fork-tender.
- Remove the chicken, apple slices and onion to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Bring the sauce the a boil for about 5 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Whisk in the mustard.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Tip: If you want to, buy thin-sliced chicken and you can skip the first 2 steps. But remember, this swap may cost more money.
Recipe and image from Real Simple.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!