This side dish would be a great addition at any Thanksgiving celebration. The combination of sweet potatoes with cranberries is classic but the chipotle takes it to a whole different level. Recipe serves 8.
What you’ll need:
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 chipotle chile pepper (from 7-ounce can)**
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
What you’ll do:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tender, turning after 15 minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon oil, cranberries, water and honey in a saucepan.
- Chop chipotle chile. Add to saucepan.
- Place over medium-low heat; bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes or until cranberries pop, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and mash with a fork (or potato masher) until chunky.
- Place pumpkin seeds in a small skillet over medium heat and cook for 4 minutes, shaking the pan frequently.
- Combine the potatoes, pumpkin seeds, onions and cilantro. Add cranberry mixture and toss gently.
**Leftover chiles can be put into small zip-lock bags (1 or 2 per bag) and frozen. Simply take out and thaw the next time you need one.
Recipe and image from Cooking Light.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!