A taco bar is a great way to get the whole family together in the kitchen. Set out the toppings and let your kids make their own tacos. This recipe cuts down on the sodium by not using packaged seasoning. This recipe makes 4-6 servings.
What you’ll need:
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- whole-grain taco shells or tortillas, warmed
- Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), guacamole or avocado
What you’ll do:
- Cook meet in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is cooked all the way through.
- Drain well. Remove beef from skillet and wipe with paper towel.
- Saute the onion in olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, and beef (or turkey). Cook 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, 3/4 cup water and salsa.
- Mash pinto beans with the back of a fork, leaving some beans whole.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Top with cheese and cilantro. Turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve with taco shells and/or tortillas and toppings.
Recipe and image from Southern Living.
So what are you waiting for…Get dinner on the table!